Extracts from 'The Buildings of England South Lancashire' by Nikolaus Pevsner
The Buildings of England is an unrivalled series of comprehensive architectural guides covering every English county all periods from prehistoric times to the present day. The South Lancashire volume was first published in 1969.
UNITARIAN CHURCH, Bolton Old Road. Built in 1721 as a Presbyterian chapel. Enlarged in 1901. Brick with arched windows in two tiers. Nice open cupola. Bulgy stone gatepiers.
ST MARY, Liverpool Road. 1891 by J. Lowe. No tower. The W end is incomplete.
WESLEYAN CHAPEL, Liverpool Road. 1873-4. Red brick with a pedimental gable. Italianate, if anything.
On the W side of the road is one three-bay Georgian house with a column-porch.
CHRIST CHURCH, Lady Lane. 1832-3 by Blore, a Commissioners’ church. It cost £1457. Red sandstone, S W steeple with wholly incorrect spire of quite an enterprising design. Lancet windows and short chancel. The galleries have been removed.
ST LEWIS (R.C.), Little Town. 1826-7. Brick, to the E the church, to the W and flush with it the priest’s house. The latter has a chequer front and a doorway with recessed columns, the former arched windows and a W pediment and pedimented W porch. The E wall inside is distinguished by pilasters, as the Catholics liked it.
HOLY TRINITY, Newchurch. 1904-5 by Travers & Ramsden. Incredibly retardataire. This brand of neo-Norman might be 1850. – BRASS. A brass inscription to Elizabeth Egerton 1646 is signed John Sale sculpsit – an oddity of the first order.
LITTLE WOOLDEN HALL, 1 ½ m. WSW. Brick, c.1800. A seven bay front with the three middle bays a little recessed. Niches l. and r. of the doorway.
Glazebrook STATION. With gables with divers patterns to the bargeboards. The water basin with dock leaf is dated 1872.
HURST HALL. Mr Jeffrey Howarth allowed me to mention the barn, which must have been the hall of a house and seems to date from the C15. It has heavy timbers: tie-beams on arched braces, cusped kingposts and cusped raking queenposts, and three tiers of quatrefoiled wind-braces.
LIGHT OAKS HALL. The E side is spectacular, evidently possible only if the house was originally much larger. It consists of a five-plus-five-light transomed window on the ground floor with the doorway close to it, a window of the same size above the other, and five-light windows with transoms further on on the r. There is a date 1657 inside and that suits the façade fragment. See image above.
ST HELEN. 1735 the body of the church, and perhaps the cupola. All other detail 1882.
ST JOHN BAPTIST. Liverpool Road, Jenny Green, Higher Irlam. 1865-6 by J. Medland Taylor. Small, with a crossing tower with broach spire, very short transepts, and an apse. The W wall has a most unorthodox rose-window. Internally the Taylor touch is the crossing arches of voussoirs of alternating thickness – just as in certain Georgian door surrounds. And whereas this motif is used simply and straightforwardly in the arches of the S windows, in the crossing arches it is done in two orders. Inside the roof timbers start very low, and the church is made lighter by dormers in the roof.
ST TERESA (R.C.), Liverpool and Astley Roads. 1903 by Oswald Hill.
ATOMIC ENERGY AUTHORITY SITE. A Large area with a number of big blocks with curtain walls. 1956 etc. They are by T. L. Viney and R. S. Brocklesby. Two large, six-storeyed office blocks plus laboratories and a reactor.
MYDDLETON HALL, 1m. E. Dated 1658, but the gables evidently C19. Brick. The front is symmetrical, with one recessed bay between two projecting bays. Mullioned-and-transomed windows. MYDDLETON HALL FARMHOUSE (Or Delph House). Dated 1657. Not symmetrical, with a little raised brick decoration.
Listing marks and celebrates a building's special architectural and historic interest, and also brings it under the consideration of the planning system, so that it can be protected for future generations.
The older a building is, and the fewer the surviving examples of its kind, the more likely it is to be listed.
Historic England makes recommendations to the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport and they make the final decision as to whether a building should be listed or not.
Grade I buildings are of exceptional interest, only 2.5% of listed buildings are Grade I
Grade II* buildings are particularly important buildings of more than special interest; 5.8% of listed buildings are Grade II*
Grade II buildings are of special interest; 91.7% of all listed buildings are in this class
As well as listed buildings, there are Local Listings and Local Heritage Assets and Historic Environment Records.
Local listing helps to raise the profile of local heritage by identifying heritage assets that are of greatest importance to local people. Local heritage assets can range from buildings, designed landscapes, archaeology and elements of the natural environment.
The Historic Environment Record (HER)is the record of all known designated and non-designated archaeological sites and historic landscapes.It includes sites dating from prehistory through to the military remains of the more recent past.
Croft Listed Buildings
There are 13 listed buildings in Croft, all of these are Grade II.
Christ Church, Croft
Eaves Brow Farmhouse
Church of St. Lewis
St. Lewis Presbytery
Barn at Hope Farm
Milestone opposite Rowe Farm
Newchurch Old Rectory
Walls/Gates and Gate Piers to front of Kenyon Hall
Little Town Well
Little Town Well, Mustard Lane
Croft Historic Environment Records
There are 7 Historic Monument records in Croft, 3 of these being the sites of the accomodation for the Royal Ordnance Factory at Risley. These are now the Emerald Drive estate, Taylor Business Park and HMP Risley. The site of HMS Ariel is another listing. The former Croft Unitarian Chapel and its burial ground are both listed. The final one is a ditched enclosure at Southworth Hall Farm.
Croft Local Listings
There are 19 local listings in Croft.
The former Croft School
Milestone opposite Rowe Farm
Oven Back Farm
143 Mustard lane
Highfield, Kenyon Lane
Yew Tree House
Bradley House (115 Stone Pit Lane)
60/62 New Lane
52/54 Smithy Brow
18 Dam Lane
Horseshoe Public House
18 Lord Street
Cheyvonne Bower is a local historian with a passion for the past. A member of Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society and The Society for One-Place Studies.